Thursday, December 25, 2008
Sunday, December 21, 2008
- I am a new uncle again...my neice Sophia was born on Friday morning. Lucas and I drove to Guelph to see her yesterday afternoon when the weather was good. She was adorable and Lucas was very excited to meet her when she was only one day old.
- I was happy with the result from the Survivor finale, but Corinne sure did take the title of Biggest Bitch Ever with her comment to Sugar at the last tribal council. Wow. I was happy that Bob won, but they did a good psych-out showing Susie's 3 votes early. That would have been the worst result ever. Probst wrote a great blog commenting on that.
- I've been watching a lot of the Food Network again lately, and this week on a Christmas episode (from 2007, I think) of Iron Chef America, Tina Fey was the guest judge. I have to say again...I love her. Top Chef has been quite enjoyable too.
- With the amount of play I'm giving to Weezer lately, I'm starting to get pretty annoyed at myself for missing the Foo Fighters/Weezer tour in 2005.
- Mike is back for Christmas from England, and he's coming to play poker tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing him again...it's been a while.
- I had a great visit last week with 2 of my best friends from high school, Evana and Pat. It was so nice to re-connect again. They have beautiful kids and I can't wait for them to get together with Lucas sometime to all play together.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
- Nice swerve job on Survivor on Thursday. Crystal gone out of nowhere! Nice! Finale should be good tonight...at least I don't have to drive to Guelph in a snowstorm this year.
- I was over at Phil's on Friday night and we all played a Scene It trivia game for the Xbox 360. So much fun...blows Trivial Pursuit Pop Culture out of the water.
- I've been listening to the latest Weezer album a lot more lately. At the beginning of the summer, Pork and Beans was a great song...then it got overplayed and was annoying. But after a few months of not hearing it, it's a great song again. Go figure...
- Final KWPT event was last night, and I finished 3rd in the tournament, and 1st overall for the second consecutive year. It was a good season. Jeremy played a great game last night, and deserved the win.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
- With that concert, Duran Duran is now one of a very select group of musical artists who I have now seen in concert 3 times (or more). I'm not counting all the Canadian acts we saw through University and afterwards, like Spirit of the West, Lowest of the Low, The Waltons, 54-40, or even Danny Michel. I'm talking major concerts. There are a total of 4 artists (band or artist). Take a guess, see if anyone can get all three of the others. Email me at email@example.com or post in the comments section.
- Lucas and I decorated the Christmas tree earlier this week, and had a lot more room since there are quite a few ornaments I'm not putting up this year.
- Lucas scored another goal at hockey tonight. And he did a fancy pass between his legs to one of his teammates.
- I'm disappointed that Tom Cheek didn't win the Ford Frick Award this week, and even more disappointed that Tony Kubek won it. Nothing against Tony Kubek, I think he's a good analyst, but it's a big step to award it to a TV broadcaster for the first time, and not even a play-by-play guy.
- Survivor finale is this Sunday. Again, I'm praying Crystal doesn't win.
- So tonight is the beginning of the William Peterson/Laurence Fishburne transition on CSI. I fell asleep during last week's episode, so I missed most of it.
Monday, December 8, 2008
- Tomorrow is the announcement of the Ford Frick Award for the baseball Hall of Fame, and I'm hoping that Tom Cheek gets in posthumously. I voted for him to get on the ballot, and I truly hope he gets the recognition he deserves.
- I'm thrilled Nick and Starr won The Amazing Race. Best team ever on the 13 seasons of the show.
- SNL started sucking again after the U.S. Election. Political comedy really is their bread and butter now, and the rest is pretty weak.
- 30 Rock is funnier every week. Funniest show on television, and closing in on the all-time crown currently held by Arrested Development. Lemon out!
- I saw Quantum of Solace last night. It was good, I like the darker James Bond character...but it was so hard to follow the action sequences with the quick camera cuts and angles...too much too fast.
- Kristy at Brantford used a great line the other night, "It's not mean unless you say it behind their back." Awesome.
- 1 more day till Duran Duran.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
- The night before, we went to the Kitchener Rangers game, which was the annual Teddy Bear Toss game. When the Rangers score their first goal, everyone throws teddy bears onto the ice and they donate them to charity. My dad came with us and we had a great time, and got all 3 of our bears on the ice. It's pretty amazing to see...here's a link to the footage of this year's game. 6300 fans and over 6500 bears.
- Survivor was a bit sappy this week. Matty's proposal on the dock was a little goofy. I thought it was so ridiculously unfair for Bob to be facing off against Crystal and Sugar in a puzzle. He finished in about a nano-second and then looked almost guilty. Awesome. With all the angry jury members, it's looking like this is shaping up to be one fireworks-filled final tribal council.
- My sister is scheduled to have her baby the week before Christmas, so I'm close to being a new uncle again.
- The Sean Avery situation this week was so ridiculous and contrived. I'm glad he got suspended, and I bet the Stars won't take him back. His career may be affected forever because of one juvenile comment.
- I'm not sure that Sam Mitchell deserved to be fired by the Raptors, but anything that gives Jay Triano a job as a head coach, I'm 100% behind. It will take some time to get the team conditioned to the pace he likes to play, but by the end of the year, Raptor fans will be happy with this change. He did a great job with our national team and is a great coach.
- Lost premieres in 6 weeks. I watched the promo video for the new season and got goosebumps...can't wait! Season 4 comes out on DVD this week, and we got a copy at work, so this weekend, I'm watching the 2 discs of bonus features.
- Duke plays at Michigan this afternoon. Go Duke!
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
- How come when I ordered soup at Tim Horton's on Saturday, they put the hot soup on TOP of the butter for the roll so that the butter became pure liquid...and was it really necessary to put 11 salt packets in the bag? Really....11.
- We're almost done all of our Christmas shopping already. It's a good feeling.
- We were out at the mall a couple of weeks ago and were shopping for Nana's birthday. Lucas picked out a nice picture frame from a kiosk at the mall that said Nana on it for her to have a special picture of just the two of them. A very thoughtful gift on his part. Last week I was back looking at frames again, and the girl who had helped us find the frame almost 2 weeks earlier comes up to me and asks if Nana liked the frame. I was very impressed that she remembered, and told her that she had a very good memory. It's very rare you find someone in retail where that would happen, so I called the manager the next day to mention how impressed I was. Most people this time of year just hear complaints, so I figured I would give some positive feedback.
- Lucas has become very helpful around the house. It's great having him set the table and clean up afterwards. He loves being in charge of changing the garbages and wants to shovel every single day!
- We're going to the Rangers game tomorrow night. It is the annual Teddy Bear Toss and Lucas is looking forward to throwing our bears on the ice.
- I played near-perfect poker at the HPA event on Saturday, but still only finished third. Of course Steve's 66 would make a straight against my KK.....no justice.
- Went out on Friday night with some friends from the UW basketball games. 4 of us went to the Huether for some food and a few drinks. It was a good time, even though Candice sat on my sunglasses in the car.
- One week till Duran Duran. Woo-hoo.
- I firmly believe that Andrew and Dan are the biggest morons to ever run the Amazing Race. I can't believe that they're in the running for the final leg. Those guys could mess anything up. What made me laugh this week was right after the Speed Bump when they had finished dancing, and had to go get their next clue from the woman with the pony, who was standing no more than ten feet away....and when they read their clue, it said "Travel on foot." So ridiculous.
- Sucks that Survivor was one of those lame recap shows last week. Boo.
Friday, November 21, 2008
- I was watching this week's Top Chef last night and on the preview for next week's episode, they show a challenge where the chefs have to make Thanksgiving Dinner...for the Foo Fighters. I'm so geeked-up excited for that!
- Check out this receipt from a Dunkin Donuts in North Carolina. The spelling mistake only makes it funnier.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
- Survivor is tonight, and I've been reading Jeff Probst's blog lately. He says tonight is the best episode thus far this season, so we'll see... I highly recommend reading his blog at EW.com on Fridays.
- I'm sure most of you have seen it, but if you haven't seen the 'spider emails' that are going around, it's quite funny. Click here for the original thread, and here for the ridiculous follow-up. Too funny.
- I miss Vinyl Burns...and Kim too.
- I watched the first season of Californication this weekend, and it was great. I was trying to figure out who played Mia, so I looked it up. Check out the 'After' and 'Before' listed below (reversed for dramatic effect.)
- I just got the old Kooks album, and I'm loving it. Plus, I got some unreleased stuff, and the cover of Gnarls Barkley's Crazy is fantastic.
- Nana Faye's birthday is this weekend, and Lucas was very excited to be responsible for picking out her gift He did a great job and I'm sure she'll love what he picked out.
- I'm really enjoying playing live Scrabble with Sam. First to 20 wins a dinner at the Keg, and I'm currently leading 4-3. It's nice to play with someone who doesn't cheat.
- Very weird dream last night...I'll leave it at that.
Sunday, November 16, 2008
- New season of Top Chef started this week - should be good. I still can't believe Padma Lakshmi was married to Salman Rushdie.
- Lucas and I have been watching Amazing Race together the last few weeks. We're both rooting for Nick and Starr.
- KWPT November event last night. After 60 hands of heads-up with Big Steve, I ended up winning, so it's a nice follow-up to the 2nd place finish last month.
- Lucas and I have a busy afternoon of movies planned. Wall-E and then Star Wars: Clone Wars.
- I have to say again how much I'm enjoying announcing at the Gryphons games. Yesterday's game against RMC was pretty ugly....84-34 final score.
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Friday, November 7, 2008
- I'm really enjoying working at the Gryphons games. The people at the scorer's table are great, and everyone in the athletic department is fantastic. What a great environment to work in.
- OUA Football season is over for our Rogers telecasts, but basketball starts in January, and we're doing some great new things including sideline reporting and filing advance player profiles. I'm looking forward to it.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
- When Lucas woke up this morning, I heard him singing Creep by Radiohead, and Roxanne by the Police in his room. I asked him how he knew those songs and he said he had been playing Rock Band at his mom's. So when I picked him up today, he wanted to show me, so we played together for a few songs and it was so much fun. He is totally getting a Wii for Christmas. :)
- He also had a blast being Iron Man for Halloween. I had a basketball game to announce that night so it was the first time in 7 years I haven't been able to take him trick or treating.
- When I was at the basketball game on Halloween, the staff at UG had dressed up in costumes, and Joe had the best costume I had seen in a long time. I walked in, and he's got a black sport jacket, black dress pants, a white shirt with the top buttons undone, and his hair, eyebrows, and beard, all dusted to look grey. I had no idea who he was until he held up a bottle of Dos Equis beer and smiled and said, "Stay Thirsty, My Friend." I was laughing so hard I was crying. I put this picture up in your honour.
Saturday, October 25, 2008
- Played in a tournament at Brantford on Thursday and got rivered twice at the final table, once by the WPT donkey I referenced in my last post...but then went back on Friday and had a record-setting session. Still can't believe the unbelieveable run of cards I went on.
Friday, October 17, 2008
- I took Faye to the casino last night and she had fun playing blackjack. It was a good 'mother-son' trip.
- Naismith Classic starts today. Looking forward to the games, and going back to UW for the weekend.
- Just saw that a BAD player I have played with at Brantford just won the WPT niagara event for over $1 million. Wow.
Monday, October 13, 2008
- Thanksgiving at Mom's was last night and everyone was there, including David back home from Ottawa, and Francesco home from Montreal. I'm looking forward to spending a weekend in Montreal with him in November.
- Naismith Classic is next week at UW. It will be nice to be able to watch the games instead of announce them. I'll have to miss the Saturday afternoon games since Lucas is doing Timbits hockey between periods at the Rangers game that afternoon.
- At our monthly KWPT league tournament on Saturday, I came 2nd to go into first place overall. It got down to Tony and I heads-up and we played for 56 hands. He outplayed me even though I had a big chip lead. He deserved to win.
- Speaking of poker, the WSOP coverage on TV has been great, seeing Teach and Damien play against the pros!
- The CSI premiere was a lot more emotional than I expected...what a tear-jerker.
Monday, October 6, 2008
- Amazing Race was interesting last night, with perhaps the biggest collection of dumb mistakes at once.
Sunday, October 5, 2008
- The movie ended just in time for me to watch Kimbo Slice get beaten in 14 seconds. Wow.
- Right after that, SNL was on and Tina Fey was back doing Sarah Palin again. The opening scene of the Vice Presidential debate may have been the funniest thing I've seen since the Cowbell skit.
Saturday, October 4, 2008
- One of the fun things we've been doing is watching Kitchener Rangers games together on TV on Friday nights. It's quickly becoming one of my new favourite things.
- New season of WNP (Wednesday Night Poker) started this week, and I won the first event. Good start to the year!
- Phil and Colin are back from South Africa, so we're already working on next year's Waterloo Arts Festival. Lots to do between now and June.
- Lucas and I are going to a basketball game this afternoon, Waterloo vs. Guelph. I don't know who to cheer for...
- (I made it 6 points down before talking about a TV show) I enjoyed Survivor on Thursday. Lots of good candidates to win. My choice if we would have had the bet again would have been Corinne. Heather and I used to have a bet each time Survivor started. We would each pick a player, and whoever lasted longer won an item of clothing from the other. She still owes me 3 items that she never paid up on...I doubt I'll be getting those. :)
- Haven't watched Pushing Daises yet, but I heard it was great.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
- So happy Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin and 30 Rock cleaned up at the Emmy's. So deserving.
- Lucas and Kelly brought me a very nice present back from New York City, a Yankee Stadium Book...bought in NYC on the day of the final game. Very thoughtful, and it meant a lot to me.
Monday, September 29, 2008
- Speaking of EW.com, check out Dalton Ross' Survivor blog videos, especially the one where he visits the tribal council set. Jeff if hilarious at the end!
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
- Saw Burn After Reading on the weekend, very funny, and I'm not a George Clooney fan at all.
- The season premiere of Heroes blew me away last night, and it's great to see Marlo from The Wire as one of the new villains.
Sunday, September 21, 2008
- Yesterday's OUA Football broadcast was interesting. It was homecoming at WLU so there were almost 9,000 fans to begin with, and the pre-game ceremony had 3 skydivers jumping from a plane above the stadium. They were dressed in WLU football uniforms and trailing Golden Hawk flags. The three of them landed individually right at midfield, and the third one had the game ball strapped to his chest, which he presented to the referee. Very impressive.
- The monthly poker leagues have been going well. 3rd place again last night
Thursday, September 18, 2008
- Had a great dinner with Val at Ben Thanh tonight. So much food. Leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
- Busy weekend with a football game to broadcast on Saturday, and a banquet on Sunday. Should be fun.
- Lucas was very excited at his new desk and computer I set up in his room this week.
- Lucas is also very excited to be going to New York City tomorrow morning for the weekend. His mom is taking him for a weekend in NYC, just the two of them. I'm sure they'll have a lot of fun. They're going to see the Lion King. He's seven years old and going to New York City...and I'm 35 and have never been!
- I got stuck behind this ridiculously slow driver on my way home from work yesterday, who insisted on going 25 km/h in a 50....but THEN came to a stop sign and did a rolling stop right on through it. Seriously? You have to go half the speed limit, but then you're in such a rush that you can't come to a complete stop?
Monday, September 15, 2008
Sunday, September 14, 2008
- Watched a funny movie with Lucas, called Son of Rambow.
- Lucas and I put on our rain gear and went fishing in the rain yesterday. We caught lots of fish, got totally soaked, and had tons of fun.
- Looking forward to the U of G hall of fame banquet next weekend.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
I'm talking about Meg Ryan...who did you think I was talking about?
I saw her on Letterman last night and MAN, what a scary transformation.
What the Hell?
Friday, September 12, 2008
- I'm watching Baby Mama later tonight. Sure...probably not a cinematic masterpiece, but I seriously love Tina Fey.
- Looking more and more forward to SNL tomorrow night. They're supposed to be doing an Aquaman skit with Michael Phelps.
- More fishing with Lucas tonight. He was very excited at seeing 4 beavers at the pond tonight, and the fact that we almost caught a huge snapping turtle. Thank god he got off the hook, I wouldn't have wanted to go near him if I had to reel him in. Seriously, he was about 2 1/2 feet long.
- I saw a funny list on a column I read daily:
Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports commentators during the Summer Olympics that they would like to take back:
1. Weight lifting commentator: This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing.
2. Dressage commentator: This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother.
3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
4. Boxing Analyst: Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious.
5. Softball announcer: If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again.
6. Basketball analyst: He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces.
7. At the rowing medal ceremony: Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew.
8. Soccer commentator: Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field.
9. Tennis commentator: One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them... Oh my God, what have I just said?
Monday, September 8, 2008
- Saw Tropic Thunder last night....very very funny. I will watch anything that Robert Downey Jr. is in.
- Finished Season 5 of The Wire, too. Bittersweet that it's over.
- I watched some of the U.S. Open Women's Final between Serena Williams and Jelena Jankovic last night as well. Makes me sick how pro-U.S. the commentators are, and Mary Carillo was a total bitch to Jankovic in the post-game interview.
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Friday, September 5, 2008
- Keesha looked smokin' hot last night. And I'm not a fan at all. She's whiny and annoying, and not my type at all, but damn she looked good.
- Went out with a friend to St. Louis Ribs and Wings for a drink and a chat. It was a good conversation, I hope she gets things figured out so she's not so unhappy.
Monday, September 1, 2008
- The basketball games at Guelph went well. The setup is great, and so are the people. I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the season. A former Warrior player came to the game last night and saw me announcing and was like "What the F...?"
- Missed Big Brother last night, so no commentary today.
Saturday, August 30, 2008
- I announced my first basketball game for the Gryphons tonight, an exhibition game vs East Tennessee State from the NCAA. It went well, no accidental 'Warriors' mistakes. 2 more games tomorrow.
- Watching season 6 of Curb Your Enthusiasm...I had forgotten how laugh-out-loud funny it is.
- I'm getting a LOT of hits on the blogs, and I'm wondering who is reading this, and how you found it. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, I'd love to hear how you came across the blogs.
Friday, August 29, 2008
- Speaking of Gordon Ramsay, this may be the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life, parody videos of him as an 8-year-old:
Part 1 Part 2
- Big Brother was good. I'm glad Michelle is gone, and as soon as Keesha won HoH, the Ollie sulking began....too funny. He knew he was gone unless he won the veto.
- Almost 1,000 views on my blogger profile now. Who is reading this?
Thursday, August 28, 2008
- Speaking of the Olympics, I missed Kerri Walsh and Misty May on David Letterman last night. Boo.
- I'm enjoying 'Handlebars' by the Flobots more and more every day.
- I know it's old, but I saw the clip again of Miss Teen South Carolina flubbing her answer...and it makes me laugh and cringe every single time. Here is a funny version of it with subtitles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII
- I rarely go to the movies anymore, unless I'm taking Lucas to see something, but I went to see The Dark Knight....TWICE. It was honestly one of the best movies I've ever seen, and Heath Ledger blew me away...and I was very very skeptical from all of the hype, and NOT a Heath Ledger fan at all.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
- Lucas is enjoying his day camp at Bingemans, but man is he ever exhausted when he gets home.
Monday, August 25, 2008
More Big Brother thoughts:
- I think Jerry is a dirty old man. And why can't he wear sleeves? Does he think we want to see his 75-year old guns? Which way to the beach, Jerry?
- Renny seems like she would be a Saturday Night Live character...played by Christopher Walken.
- Come to think of it, I think Walken could do Michelle's voice too.
- Dan looks like Danny Michel.
- Ollie has an abnormally large forehead/head. He looks like the Great Gazoo from The Flintstones. See for yourself.
- I got ID'ed on my way into the casino the other day. The guy said "How old are you?" and I said "35", and he said, "No, really...how old are you?". Awesome.
- Jenn and I had a blast at Ribfest on Sunday. But man, was it hot!
- Lucas' party was awesome, and he won 3 gingerbread medals!
- The late night Busker Show = so much drama. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Wow.
Saturday, August 23, 2008
- The Late night Busker show should be fun tonight.
- 700 hits and counting...people reading from in Texas and California. This blogging thing is fun.
- 18 medals overall going into the final day. Pretty good considering it took 5 days to win the first one.
- I hate humidity.
Friday, August 22, 2008
- 2 more medals for Canada this morning. I'm bummed that the Olympics are ending.
- I'm listening to music again after two months. Forgot how much I liked WHFS in Baltimore.
- Josh Wolk is seriously the funniest man alive.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
- I honestly believe that any Olympic sport can be made better by being synchronized. Think about it...
- It sucks that Steve and Barry's went bankrupt and had to close all of their stores, but it was only a matter of time if nothing is over $8.98.
- Less than 2 weeks before I announce my first game for the Gryphons. 4 NCAA exhibition games in one weekend. Should be great. I'm hoping not to say 'Warriors' by accident!
Monday, August 18, 2008
- The Olympics were awesome this weekend. Michael Phelps' 7th gold medal, where he won by one one-hundredth of a second was something that I will remember for the rest of my life. And Lucas and I watched Usain Bolt together as he broke the world record in the 100 meters.
- Lucas turns 7 on Friday, I can't believe how fast he's growing up!
- Winning the HPA Tournament on Saturday night was a highlight for me. I really like Doc Mike and enjoyed playing him heads up for 45 minutes. HPA means a little more to me than the other poker tournaments, so winning my fourth one was a lot of fun.
- Matt is back for a few days from BC, so that means I'm in for some good lunches for the next couple of days. SOS BBQ today and Jia Jia Lok tomorrow.
- We moved into our new office at work today, and I'm already unpacked...and loving my new office.
- I was going through some pictures on the weekend and found some great family pictures with my cousin Paul. Nice memories...I'm glad I stumbled across them because now I can keep them where I know they are, and look at them often.
- Here's hoping Canada can win more medals this week!
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
- Is it bad for me to like women's beach volleyball so much?
- Ethel's Patio is the best patio in town.
- If S.O.S. BBQ ever goes out of business, I don't know what I'll do.
- Michael Phelps is awesome.
- Fishing and golfing with Lucas a couple of weekends ago was pretty much the best weekend ever.
- I'm not really that interested in Big Brother this summer. Only watching it on and off. First time in a while.
- The Cousins BBQ we had last week at Rob's house was a lot of fun. Wow, did he ever cook a lot of meat!
- Looking forward to dinner at Yummyaki next week with Val, Dan, Rob, and Nadia.