Sunday, September 6, 2009

September 6, 2009

This week's musical selection is one of my favourite songs from one of my favourite bands of all-time, The Lowest of the Low. When their first independent album, Shakespeare My Butt... was released in 1991, I actually wore the CD out, and needed to buy a second one in later years. I was waiting in anticipation for their second album, when CFNY (now The Edge) featured a song on one of their yearly new music samplers. It was called Gamble, and was a song that I had seen them perform in concert numerous times.
Gamble later appeared (in a slightly modified recording) on their second album, Hallucigenia, the following year, but the excitement of that one song between albums was something to remember. It's a fantastic song, and while I can't find a suitable clip of the band performing it, here is a video of Lowest of the Low's Ron Hawkins performing it live and acoustic at the Rivoli in 2007.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That song brings back memories - gonna have to go listen to my CD again! It's been a LONG time since I've heard that tune. Thanks for reminding of this great song :)